At least seven killed in Russian missile strikes on Kharkiv region — Novaya Gazeta Europe
NewsPolitics

At least seven killed in Russian missile strikes on Kharkiv region

At least seven people have been killed and a further 16 injured in multiple Russian missile strikes on Ukraine’s second city Kharkiv and the nearby town of Lyubotyn on Thursday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Telegram.

Describing the strikes as “an extremely brutal Russian attack” involving at least 15 missiles, Zelensky said that “Russian terrorists” were “taking advantage of the fact that Ukraine still lacks sufficient air defences and cannot destroy their missile launchers near our borders”? adding: “For three years the world has failed to deal with the terrorists the way they deserve.”

Kharkiv region Governor Oleh Syniehubov said on Telegram that a fire had broken out at a printing plant that was struck with S-300 missiles. Ukrainian public broadcaster Suspilne reported that about 50 employees had been on site at the time of the attack and that at least five members of staff had been killed.

Aftermath of the missile strikes on Kharkiv. Photo: Volodymyr Zelensky’s Telegram channel

Aftermath of the missile strikes on Kharkiv. Photo: Volodymyr Zelensky’s Telegram channel 

The attacks come amid a fresh Russian offensive against the Kharkiv region, which began on 10 May, since when Russian troops have managed to advance several kilometres into the region near the Russian border.

On 14 May, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine announced that its troops would withdraw from around two towns in the region to “save the lives of our soldiers and avoid losses”, adding that its troops had moved to more “advantageous” positions from which they would attempt to prevent Russian forces from gaining a foothold in the area.

pdfshareprint
Editor in chief — Kirill Martynov. Terms of use. Privacy policy.